Friday, April 12, 2013

Wrap and roll breakfast for dinner

*yup, this is my image... and my dinner!

You have no idea how much I love breakfast. I never tire of breakfast food... like, never. So when I'm bored with recipes and want to do something delicious, I often explore breakfast options. Why not, right?

When Tim and I were dating, we would often go to Chez Cora for breakfast or brunch. It's delicious and they have a little more variety than your standard breakfast place on their menu. That's where the inspiration for this recipe came from: we tried a "Good Morning", and we were both hooked! Essentially, it's a basic crèpe wrapped around fried eggs, bacon, and cheese, then pressed in a panini press and served with fresh fruit. I skip all the formalities like pressing and fruit... who do I think I am?

The nice thing about this is you can make most of it ahead of time. I've done the prep work the night before so we could have a really nice breakfast without cooking for an hour first. I make the crèpes and bacon ahead, then fry up the eggs when we are ready to eat. Yum!

What you need:

Crèpes:
1C flour (AP)
2 eggs
2/3C milk
1/2C water
1/4tsp salt
2TBSP butter, melted

1 package of bacon (I like John Morrell Applewood Smoked)
Your favorite cheese (we used pepperjack cheese this time; I highly recommend it!)

What you'll do:

Making the crèpes:
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour and eggs. I mixed by hand, and got them as smooth as possible.
Slowly add the milk and water, stirring continuously to try and keep the mixture as smooth as you can.
Add salt and butter. Beat until no lumps remain.
Heat a pan to medium. Use about 1/3C of batter per crèpe. Cook on one side until there are bubbles across the entire surface, then flip for a few seconds.

Once they're done, set the crèpes aside for a bit. I put mine into a ziploc bag, each separated by a sheet of wax paper. This keeps them soft and pliable.

Next, cook your bacon however you like to. I vote BBQ, but that's just me. You want to let it drain and pat it dry as much as possible... you don't want too much grease getting into your wrap/roll.

Finally, if you're ready to eat, fry up some eggs. We use one egg, 1.5 pieces of bacon, and 1 slice of cheese for each wrap. Tim and I both prefer our eggs over hard for this sandwich, but you could do them lighter if you prefer.

Assembly:
Put a crèpe on your prep surface and place your cheese in the centre. Take your egg right out of the pan and put it right onto the cheese, then put the bacon (broken into smaller pieces) on top. Fold up the bottom 1/3 of your crèpe, pulling the edge towards the centre. Then fold in the sides, and roll the whole thing up until you've got a tidy little packet. I throw my little packets back into the egg pan for a few minutes to seal them up and crisp up the outside as well. Serve and eat them hot!

You could (probably, you should...) serve them with fresh fruit or a light salad. You could also douse them in maple syrup, if you're so inclined, and I'm pretty sure honey or jam would work really well too.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment