Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sweet Cherry Wine Sangria

*Yep, that's my image. I don't have a fancy pitcher, but this one worked just fine.

Sweet Cherry Sangria

I’ve had ok Sangria, and I’ve had some brain-melting-awesome sangria. Regardless of the quality of the final product, it’s almost always “good enough” to enjoy on a hot summer’s day.

I looked for a good recipe but ended up kind of winging it at the end, using this recipe from Allrecipes.com as a base. It turned out FAN-TAS-TIC.

Prepare in the morning for an afternoon / evening event. Prepare the night before for brunch or lunch. You want to give the fruit a chance to soak up some of the alcohol, and for the flavors to mix together.

What you need (Per batch. I suggest you plan to make two):

1 bottle Grand Traverse Bay cherry wine (or equivalent)
3/4 C brandy
12 oz lemon-lime soda, or to taste (Sprite or house brand preferred at our place!)
1 C orange juice, or to taste (pulp or no pulp, it’s your call)
1 lemon, sliced thinly
1 lime, sliced thinly
1/2 orange, sliced thinly
1 apple, cored, pared, sliced or cubed (you could just use half I guess…)
1 C fresh pineapple chunks (do not use canned… really!)

Optional fruit:
Personally, I think the more fruit the better, but it’s your call. Use any or all of these in combination.
1 cup of cherries, pitted, halved
5-10 strawberries, stems removed, sliced thinly
1 small handful raspberries, rinced
1 nectarine, cored, chunks or sliced thinly (skin on)

What you do:

  • Prep all your fruit as you like it. I LOVE eating the fruit after I’m done drinking my sangria, so for me chunks of apple, nectarine, and pineapple are awesome. If you just want the fruity flavors, you may be better to slice everything super thin. Your call. 
  • Put your fruit in a large pitcher and pour in the brandy. Let soak for at least 2 hours, preferably longer. 
  • Chill your wine, orange juice, and lemon-lime soda in the meantime. 
  • About an hour or two before serving, add the wine to the pitcher and stir gently. 
  • Immediately before serving, add the lemon-lime soda and orange juice to taste. If you like, add more wine / brandy to taste. Gently crush your fruit if you wish before serving (I do not like it this way, but many do). 

Serve over ice or not, with cherries for garnish or not, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment