Wednesday, January 22, 2014

My Made-Up Shrimp Stir-Fry


*Yes, that is my image, captured on my phone. Not sure the colors are terribly accurate, but it's the best I've got.

My Made-Up Shrimp Stir-Fry

Last night I was in a bit of a pickle. I had to be somewhere at 7 o’clock, I got home later than planned, and I didn’t know when the hubs was going to get home. Thankfully, I had a pound of frozen, deveined, easy-peel shrimp in my freezer. I set that to thaw as soon as I got in the door, and started looking for recipes. I had planned on shrimp for dinner but didn’t have much planned beyond that, and didn’t have time (or ingredients, in some cases) to make any of my more involved shrimp recipes.

So, I winged it, with great results (thank goodness)! I started out using this recipe from A Calculated Whisk, just to make sure I was on the right track. What followed was pure garlicky magic.

What you need:

1lbs raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, tail off, thawed if frozen
2 Tbsp olive oil
2+ tsp minced garlic (I didn't measure that carefully. It was about 2 tsp and it was nice and garlicky.)
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 tsp smoked paprika or to taste
1 package frozen steamable veggies: I used cauliflower, broccoli, carrots
1/2 C water

What you do: 

  • Heat oil in large skillet over medium low heat.
  • Add garlic. Sautée until garlic is soft but don't brown, approx 2 minutes.
  • Add shrimp, turning heat to medium. Stir to coat with oil and garlic.
  • Sprinkle salt, pepper, and paprika evenly over the shrimp.
  • Cover and cook for 4 minutes. Do not overcook!
  • While cooking the shrimp, put your steamable veggies in the microwave on high.
  • After 4 minutes, remove shrimp from skillet and set aside.
  • Remove veggies from microwave and toss into skillet. Coat veggies with pan sauce.
  • Add 1/2 C water to pan, stirring.
  • Cook veggies in skillet, covered, for 2-3 minutes, or until tender.
  • Toss shrimp back in, stir it all together while cooking for 1 more minute.

Serve hot. Sprinkle a tiny pinch of Parmesan cheese on each serving if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment