Friday, January 17, 2014

Shrimp Creole

*Yep, those are my images... of my dinner! 

Pinterest is taking up all my time but man is it tasty! I got this recipe via Pinterest, but it's posted by Never Enough Thyme... you can see it right here. The whole reason I started keeping this blog is that I often change recipes on the fly, and unless I write down my own little variations, I forget them and have to start over every time I want to make the dish. So in a rare twist, I didn't change one single thing about this recipe. Really! I followed Never Enough Thyme's recipe to the T, with amazing results. I've never cooked shrimp creole before but I guarantee I'll do it again. 

The author over at Never Enough Thyme specifically requests that if you want to re-print her recipe that you write it out in your own words or link to the original post. Obviously, I've already done the linking part, but I really don't want to make her mad because I will probably be going back to her site for more recipes... I'd hate to get blacklisted. So I'm going to write it out my own way and hope for her blessing, but please: visit her site to see the original... let this post just be a guide to Never Enough Thyme! :)

What you need:

1 lb Raw shrimp, peeled, and deveined. I used flash-frozen peeled / deveined / tail-off. 
2 Tbsp butter
3/4 C yellow onion, chopped (not as fine as dicing, but smallish pieces mmmkay?)
3 small celery ribs, chopped (see above.)
1 green pepper, cored, seeded, chopped (see above the above)
3 garlic cloves, minced. I used 3tsp of pre-minced garlic from a jar... you use what you like.
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes with juices (Oh, a variation! The original calls for 3C of diced tomato with juices, but the cans don't come in that size so I just approximated. I left a bit of tomato in the can but not much.)
3 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried, but trust me, use fresh!)
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind (Hubby did not like the lemon. May try without it next time)
12 dashes of Tabasco sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
2 servings of rice

Garnish:
Juice of 1/2 lemon (since you're already going to use the rind, why not juice that lemon?)
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley. If you don't care about garnish, just skip this step... then you don't have to buy a whole pile of fresh parsley just for this recipe! I wouldn't repeat this next time. 

What you do:

Rinse your shrimp and set it aside. You'll want it to drain and be fairly dry when you add it at the end of the recipe. 

Boil water for your rice. You need the rice to be ready when the dish is finished cooking, so start both at the same time (or cook the rice ahead, whatever. You don't want to have to wait when the creole is done!)

Melt the butter in a large sautée pan, then add the onion. Cook until the onion is wilted, stirring often. Do not brown the onion! Add celery, green pepper, and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, or until the veggies are softened.

Add the tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, Tabasco, lemon rind, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes uncovered, or until most of the liquid is gone. Mine took only about 12 minutes and then I had to cover it or I wouldn't have had any liquid left at all. So mind it carefully while its cooking! 

Add the shrimp. Stir it in well, then cover it. Set the timer for 5 minutes and DO NOT COOK FOR ANY LONGER. Seriously, don't do it. The worst thing is over-cooked shrimp. It will take no more than five minutes... trust me. 

Garnish with lemon juice, parsley, and whatever else you want. Serve over rice... because yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment