Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Chicken Creole


A while back, I shared my version of this recipe for Shrimp Creole by Never Enough Thyme. It was a weekly staple at our house for quite a while, but eventually it faded as these things tend to do. I was recently stuck for dinner ideas and decided to try making it again, but I realized after I started that I didn't have any shrimp at home. Solution? Make Chicken Creole instead! So that's what I did… and the hubs and I both like it better than the shrimp.

What you need:

1 to 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast (bscb), trimmed and cut into cubes
2 Tbsp butter
3/4 C yellow onion, chopped (not as fine as dicing, but smallish pieces mmmkay?)
3 small celery ribs, chopped (see above.)
1 green pepper, cored, seeded, chopped (see above the above)
3 garlic cloves, minced. I used 3tsp of pre-minced garlic from a jar... you use what you like.
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (I use Meijer organic petite diced)
3 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried, but trust me, use fresh!)
2 bay leaves
12 dashes of Tabasco sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
2 servings of rice (we now use quinoa or  a combination of the two. It's awesome.)

What you do:

As advertised, trim anything undesirable and cube your chicken. Ideally, cut your chicken to the size of standard sugar cubes.

Cook chicken in a pan with a bit of olive oil over medium heat. Normally I will cook it until it seals, then take it off the heat and set aside. Always check your chicken's internal temp before eating!

Prepare your rice /  quinoa  / grain mix. You'll want that ready to go when the Creole finishes.

Melt the butter in a large sauté pan, then add the onion. Cook until the onion softens, but do not brown. Add celery, green pepper, and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, or until the veggies are softened.

Add the tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, Tabasco, salt, and pepper. Stir, then add your chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes uncovered, stirring often. You'll want some, but not all, of the liquid to evaporate; I would say this is one of those "evaporate to taste" kind of situations. Personally, I like it a little saucier, but you might want it drier. Your call.

Using a meat thermometer, test a few pieces of chicken to ensure they are cooked through (165F). If not cooked through after 10 minutes, cover and leave to simmer another 3-5 mins, or until meat is cooked.


Once cooked, remove from heat and let rest for a few minutes before serving over rice. Feel free to garnish with parsley if you're so inclined… I can't be bothered. 

For my take on Never Enough Thyme's Shrimp Creole recipe, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment