Monday, February 4, 2013

My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies


*Yes, that's my image... of my trashed cookie book.

My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies

Rather than post a picture of the finished product, I thought it would be insightful to post a picture of my cookbook. Everybody has a recipe like this; when I pick up the book, it naturally falls open to the page with the Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe on it. The page is crispy, wrinkled, covered in batter and oil and other debris. The spine of the book at that spot is full of old flour and spices. That's how you know it's a great recipe. 

The cook book is called The Ultimate Cookie Book (Tormont, 1997). You can buy it here

I never follow instructions very well. Call it a character flaw or whatever you will, it's just the way I am. That said, I've only made a few minor changes to this recipe. I eliminated shortening, because why use shortening when you can use butter right!? I also use AP flour instead of cake flour, and a large egg instead of a small egg, and I drop the cookies on a cookie tray with spoons rather than pressing them out of a pastry bag... though lately, I've been rolling them into little balls and then squishing them with a fork. I hate cleaning pastry bags, so spoons or balls are a better option. It's also just faster and easier... cookies to mouth in less time = good. 

What you need:

1/3 C butter, softened. (The original recipe calls for unsalted, I use salted, you use whatever you like!)
1/4 C brown sugar, lightly packed
1/3 C granulated sugar
1 C flour (The original recipe calls for cake flour, I use AP, you use whatever you like!)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 C chocolate chips

What you do:

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a cookie sheet... I use Pam spray, but butter adds even more buttery taste to the cookies, which is always good right?!
Using a mixer, cream butter and both sugars. Once they're nice and smooth, add the egg and blend really well.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Using a spatula or wooden spoon, mix the dry ingredients into the wet. You can use your fingertips too, but the dough is sticky.
Once your dough is nice and smooth, add the chocolate chips and blend well. Your dough should be stiff but sticky. 

Drop the batter onto a cookie sheet using a spoon*, or roll the dough into ping-pong-sized balls and then squish them down with a fork. Bake until cookies are golden. I suggest you let them rest for a couple of minutes before eating, but not too many minutes, or your chocolate chips won't be melty and gooey.

Awesome news! This dough can be frozen! I used to buy pre-made frozen cookie dough... you know, the one in the yellow or blue package at the grocery store? I totally lack discipline, so the ability to bake only one or two cookies instead of a whole batch is a much better option for me. I will eat the whole batch if it's in my kitchen.
So anyway, I decided to try freezing my own dough to see if I could get the same results as store-bought, and guess what!? It worked perfectly! What I do is make the dough exactly as described above, then chill it in the fridge for 20 or 30 minutes to make it easier to work with. Then I wet my hands, roll the dough into a ball, and split it in half... then split those in half, and those in half, and so on until I have the number and size of cookies I will want to bake. I put them between sheets of wax paper and put them in the freezer... after 24 hours, I pop the waxed paper covered cookies into a freezer bag and voila! To bake them, just put them on a  greased cookie sheet and pop them in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. I set the timer for ten, then have a peek to make sure the centres aren't still wet... if they are, they get an extra 2 minutes. If not, I eat them immediately. Almost. :)

*Originally, the recipe calls for the cookies to be pressed out of a pastry bag fitted with a large round tube. As mentioned, I hate washing my pastry crap, so I just don't do this.... but you can! 

No comments:

Post a Comment